Millions of men and women are using BOTOX Cosmetic as part of their beauty regimen to keep their skin looking youthful and fresh. Here are some surprising facts about BOTOX.
BOTOX Cosmetic is FDA-approved to treat and improve moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and crow’s feet in adults. Here’s 5 things you may or may not know.
Does BOTOX hurt?
Some clients report that being injected with BOTOX feels like a pinch. If you are concerned about discomfort, applying a topical numbing create before the treatment can help. Most clients do not report any pain.
When Will I See Results from BOTOX?
On the average, BOTOX takes 5 – 10 days to relax and see full results. The results can last anywhere from 3 – 4 months. Some clients tell us they see a slight difference in a day or two. Most clients will be close to their full effect in one week with a peak of effectiveness in two weeks.
TIP: If you plan on getting BOTOX for a big event, plan at least two weeks ahead.
How Was BOTOX Discovered
An ophthalmologist, Dr. Alan Scott, was seeking a cure for crossed eyes. He realized that if he could weaken the muscles that caused the crossing he would have a solution. Luckily, a biochemist who was working with a purified strain of botulism sent him some to try and it worked. Over time people receiving the treatment for crossed eyes also reported a smoothing of wrinkles. The rest is history.
Pre and Post Treatment Care
What to Do to Prep for a Treatment
Here’s advice for the days before your BOTOX treatment:
- 7 days before treatment to prevent bruising avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications like Aspirin, Motin, Ibuprofen and Aleve. Also avoid herbal supplements such as Garlic, vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s Wart and Omega-3 capsules.
- 3 Days before treatment avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, or other “anti-aging” products. Also avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated.
- 24 hours before, refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages to avoid extra bruising
- Inform your provider if you have a history of Perioral Herpes to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
Day of Treatment
- Arrive with a clean face if possible. Do not wear makeup.
- Redness and swelling are normal. Some bruising may be visible.
- You may experience some tenderness at the treatment site(s) that can last a few hours or a few days.
What to Avoid After a Treatment.
After a BOTOX Cosmetic treatment:
- Do not take Ibuprofen, aspirin or vitamin # for 24 hours after the injections
- Do not manipulate or massage the injection sites for at least 48 hours
- Do not do heavy exercising for 24 hours
- Do not lay down for the next 4 hours
- Avoid extended sun exposure
- Wait a minimum of 24 hours (or as directed by the med spa) before receiving any skin care or laser treatments
Do Men Receive BOTOX?
More and more men are receiving BOTOX treatments, in fact; 17.5% of patients treated are men, according to Allergan. The number of cosmetic procedures for men increased by 273T from 1997 to 2014.
Other BOTOX Uses
Botox can also be used for the:
- Treatment of migraines
- Treatment of excessive sweating
- Make blowoutslast longer as it minimizes scalp sweating
- Minimize wrinkles in the décolleté
Don’t Forget to Earn Brilliant Distinctions Points
You can earn and redeem your Brilliant Distinctions point at Newport Cosmetic Center for discounts on treatments for BOTOX, Juvederm, Voluma, Volbella and Vollure. If you are not signed up, ask us to sign you up at your appointment.
Botox Treatments At Newport Cosmetic Center
All the BOTOX treatments are done by Dr. Taeed, an experienced injector. We offer free consultations if you’d prefer to discuss injectable treatments prior to your appointment.
Call (949) 548-5700 to make an appointment.